The mobile app of Berlin Brandenburg Airport will feature an indoor navigation system developed on Situm’s indoor location technology together with mapping partner Point Consulting.
Located 18km from the centre of the German capital, Berlin Brandenburg Airport is the third busiest airport in Germany and one of the key international air traffic hubs in central Europe.
Its official app has several tools to offer passengers the best possible experience:
- Real-time information on flights: timetables, boarding gate, waiting times at security control, etc.
- Parking and BER Runway reservations.
- Timetables and connections with buses and trains.
- Information on shops, additional services, etc.
The app already has an interactive map of the airport allowing passengers to search for their boarding gates as well as the airport’s shops and services. To improve the passenger’s travel experience further, it now features a personalized indoor navigation system for airports developed on Situm’s indoor location technology.
Information and accessibility in the palm of the passenger’s hand
The BER airport app provides passengers with personalised guidance that will locate them wherever they are in the building and allow them to select a destination on the map. From there, it will display step-by-step instructions and how long it will take to reach it.
This new guidance functionality is the result of the integration of Situm’s indoor navigation system for airports with Point Consulting’s Point Maps platform (maps, points of interest and routes).
This integration process has been carried out by Digitas Pixelpark using Situm’s SDK.
In this way, the Berlin Airport app will be enriched with the following functionalities for indoor navigation:
- Automatic location at the airport.
- Selection of the fastest route to the destination.
- Accessibility options: alternative routes will be shown for people with reduced mobility, adapting, for example, floor changes to lifts instead of stairs.
- Location on the map of the airport’s points of interest: from services to boarding gates, toilets, shops, restaurants… To select your destination, you can search for it on the map or browse a directory.
With this project, Berlin Brandenburg Airport joins other airports (such as the main Spanish airports in the Aena network) that have already successfully deployed Situm technology to upgrade their apps with indoor routing and offer the best experience to the thousands of passengers that visit them every day.